woman talking to psychologist

Psychological support

Ideas to help improve your emotional outlook

Multiple sclerosis (MS) can lead to changes in the mind, new emotions, changes in mood, or depression. MS can also lead to trouble with memory, paying attention, or thinking.

The good news is that your healthcare team may be able to help. If you have new and unexplained feelings of grief, moodiness, irritability, or anxiety, let your doctor know about it. You should also let your doctor know about any changes in your ability to think and solve problems.

Many people with MS have found help from the following sources:

Support groups

Look for groups in your area that offer support to MS patients. You can get started at the National MS Society website.

Psychologist or psychiatrist

Your doctor could refer you to a specialist who can do more to help with emotional changes. Your psychologist’s office is a safe space where you can discuss whatever is going on in your life. And your psychologist can teach you strategies for coping with challenges and help you think through important decisions.

In addition to regular therapy, a psychiatrist can also prescribe medicine to help. Ask your doctor if they can refer you to someone who has experience in MS. You can also find your own psychiatrist to get started. But be sure to inform your doctor about any additions to your healthcare team.


MS can also lead to cognitive difficulties, such as trouble thinking and remembering. A neuropsychologist works to identify these problems and provide strategies to work around them.

If you think you’re experiencing changes in the way you think or feel, bring it up with your healthcare team.